How to Hydrate Properly: 5 Helpful Tips
Know how to hydrate properly for a healthier gut and body.
RELATED: Hydration Smoothie In this article:
- Why You Need to Drink Water
- 5 Ways to Stay Hydrated
How to Hydrate Your Body
Why You Need to Drink WaterStaying hydrated is one of the most important and easiest ways to help out your body and aid digestion. However, as simple as it is, it’s easily forgotten. Dehydration can not only hurt your gut and your digestion, but it can also influence the way you feel too—think about moodiness and fatigue. So do your body, your digestion, and your coworkers a favor and DRINK UP! Here’s a quick-read from our friend, guest blogger Rebecca (@becca_bfit), explaining her simple steps to staying hydrated.
5 Ways to Stay Hydrated
How much water should you drink in a day? People may know the answer to this question but most of the time, the standard isn’t followed. Staying hydrated is one of the most significant components of living a healthy lifestyle, but for many, it can be a challenge. That’s why figuring out a system that works for you is key to receiving ample water intake every day. Here’s how I hit my goal of 1.5 gallons every day:
1. Fill up Before BedKeeping a glass of water on your nightstand will help you kick-off your morning by starting your water intake right when you wake up. Typically, my body wakes me up around 5:30 am, so I’ll drink most of the glass, go back to sleep, and when my alarm goes off, I’ll finish the rest.
2. Reward Your Taste-Buds
Drinking water can be a drag, especially when you want something with a little more flavor. To mix things up, every two fill ups, reward yourself with something flavoring! I like to use BIOHM Super Greens, BCAAs, or flavored collagen powder. These products are great because they provide a little more flavor and have great benefits for your body as well.
BCAA Definition: Stands for branched-chain amino acids. They are protein supplements that help boost performance during exercise.
RELATED: Layered Smoothie
3. Get Yourself a Reliable Water BottleNot only are reusable water bottles good for the earth, but they also allow you to fill up throughout the day. New water bottle designs are both creative and functional so you won’t have to worry about them cramping your style. I’ve experimented with several different sizes, but have found that a Shaker Bottle is perfect for me. Plus, I can reach my gallon goal in only seven fill-ups.
4. Refill, Don’t Spill
Having a full gallon of water with you is great and all, but it can be a hassle to drink. While I’m working from my desk, I usually keep a gallon with me, but pour the water into another cup so I don’t have to worry about spilling. This also makes the task of drinking a full gallon much easier!
5. Know How Much Water You Should Drink in a DayThe amount of water we need to drink daily varies from person to person. Depending on individual body weight, you may need to adjust your intake to make sure you’re drinking enough water every day. Figuring out the correct amount you need daily is easy, just follow these steps:
- Your Weight: First you need to figure out your body weight (easy enough right?).
- Multiply by 2/3: Next, you need to multiply your body weight by 2/3 (or .67) to determine how much water you should drink daily. For example, if you weigh 120 pounds, you should drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
- Activity Level: Finally, you will want to adjust that number based on your activity level, since you are expelling water when you sweat. A simple way you should adjust your water intake is to add 12 ounces of water to your daily total for every 30 minutes that you work out.
Learn more about BIOHM Super Greens from this video from BIOHM Health:
The benefits of staying hydrated include keeping your skin supple, your digestion working smoothly, and your entire body healthy. Figure out how much water your body needs daily—it will not only help keep you hydrated but also boost the good bacteria in your gut.
How do you keep yourself hydrated throughout the day? Share your own tips in the comments section below. Up Next: