Dr. Gundry Podcast Episode 111: There’s fungus in your gut (surprise!)
By now, you’ve probably heard of your microbiome — the trillions of bacteria living inside your gut.
These tiny “gut bugs” are incredibly important for the health of your entire body.
But my guest today says this isn’t the whole story; there are also fungi living in your gut that can have a dramatic effect on your health — good and bad.
Dr. Mahmoud Ghannoum is an expert on fungi and the Director of the Integrated Microbiome Core and the Center for Medical Mycology at Case Western University. He’s also the author of a brand new book called Total Gut Balance.
On today’s episode, he and Dr. Gundry are going to discuss the effect of fungi in the gut, the BEST foods for improving your gut health, and 3 things you can do TODAY to boost whole body health.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- Why you DON’T need to be scared of THIS “gut fungus” (4:10)
- How antibiotics use fungi to damage your health (6:45)
- How simple baker’s yeast can actually help you control candida (13:05)
- What British nurses taught me about the importance of fermented foods (15:20)
- How the right amount of fungi in your gut can help you train your immune system (22:40)
- The best food to eat to balance the fungus in your gut (24:30)
- One simple way to “starve to death” the bad bugs in your gut (27:45)
- What most so-called “anti-candida” diets get ALL WRONG (29:25)
- How candida weakens your gut lining and sets you up for MAJOR health problems (34:00)
- 2 resistant starches you should add to your diet to feed more of your good bugs (36:45)
- How a spoonful of THIS every day can help you fight candida (38:45)
- Why you’re NOT stuck with dangerous candida (43:30)