Episode 22: Can You Think Yourself Well?
Are there tangible health benefits to positive thinking? What’s up with the placebo effect? And can simply thinking about being well lead to real wellness? Our guest today, Sandi Scheinbaum, says yes.
A licensed clinical psychologist for over 35 years, Sandi founded of the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy in collaboration with The Institute for Functional Medicine where she trains health coaches on how to use positive psychology to reverse chronic illness. For years, she’s studied and taught about the psychology of eating and mind-body medicine, in addition to running clinics for treating ADD, panic attacks and anxiety.
On today’s episode, Andrea talks to Sandi about how we can use our thoughts to drive real physiological changes, such as decreasing inflammation and soothing our guts -- and how our thoughts can also turn our bodies against us. They also discuss the placebo effect and the common symptoms that Sandi sees from toxic, negative thinking. Plus, Sandi answers one of Andrea’s burning questions: Do positive mantras work if we don’t believe them?
As a gift to listeners, Sandi is offering her Positive Psychology Short Course for free. Go to functionalmedicinecoaching.org/program/microbiome/, click on the Positive Psychology Short Course and enter the code FMCAGIFT at checkout. The code is good through September 30, 2019.
To learn more about Sandi, head to www.functionalmedicinecoaching.org or follow the academy on Twitter (@fxmedcoach), Instagram (@functionalmedcoach), or Facebook (Functional Medicine Coaching Academy).
On this show, you’ll learn:
- Sandi’s experience and background (1:28)
- Tuning into what’s going on internally for a more personalized approach (3:26)
- How can our thoughts increase or decrease inflammation (5:47)
- How our subconscious factors into our disease states (9:33)
- Understanding what you’re feeling in your body and its impact (14:46)
- Using our inner monologue to shape our experiences (18:16)
- Do positive mantras work if we don’t believe them? (27:29)
- Living in the moment (31:13)
- Placebo effect and positive thinking (32:57)
- Common symptoms from negative thinking (36:42)
- Getting started switching your mental state (38:27)
- Further books and speakers to check out (43:54)
Tune in on iTunes here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show. If you enjoyed this episode and think others could benefit from listening, please share it.
Do you have feedback or questions about this episode?
Email us at TheMicrobiomeReport@biohmhealth.com
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.