Episode 39: Everything You Need to Know About Fiber
Today, we’re taking a step back from the nitty gritty details of the microbiome and focusing on something we talk about a lot: FIBER. Fiber is the key to making this whole engine of the gut work -- but if we’re not doing it right, it can also cause us a lot of...ahem, discomfort.
On today’s show, Andrea talks to Meghan Telpner, a Toronto-based author, speaker, nutritionist and founder of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition. Meghan was ranked as one of the top 100 female entrepreneurs in Canada by Profit Magazine and was named best holistic nutritionist in 2017 and 2018 by National Nutrition.
She’s also the author of two best-selling, award-winning books: UnDiet: Eat Your Way To Vibrant Health and The UnDiet Cookbook.
Meghan and Andrea dive into the basics of fiber (what is it and why is it so important?) before answering some listener submitted questions about the intricacies of fiber: does it make you poop or plug you up? Will I get smelly and gassy if I increase my fiber intake? And what about supplements like Metamucil?
This episode doesn’t shy away from talking about doing your daily business, so don’t miss it if you’ve ever wondered why fiber is so important and how you can dial in the right amount for your body.
Resources mentioned on the show:
- Meghan’s website
- Culinary Nutrition program
Bristol Stool Chart: Types of Poop - Shapes, Textures & Consistency
- History of Bristol Chart name (via Wikipedia): Developed and proposed for the first time in England by Stephen Lewis and Ken Heaton at the University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary.
- Squatty Potty
- Meghan’s FREE mini-training, including 7 recipes and over 40 minutes of video
On this show, you’ll learn:
- What is fiber? (2:32)
- Why is it so important? (3:59)
- Are soluble and insoluble fiber both beneficial for the microbiome? (6:26)
- Foods that are high in each type of fiber (6:54)
- Signs you may be overdoing fiber intake (10:56)
- Different cultures and their intakes of fiber (15:12)
- The importance of hydration (20:02)
- Easy ways to add more fiber (22:01)
- Where to start (28:00)
- Individuality and fiber choices (29:45)
- Metamucil – good or bad? (31:36)
- Fiber and gas (34:26)
- Tools of the pooping trade (35:16)
Tune in on iTunes here:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to the show. If you enjoyed this episode and think others could benefit from listening, please share it.
Do you have feedback or questions about this episode?
Email us at TheMicrobiomeReport@biohmhealth.com
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Stitcher, or from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on iTunes.