7 Plant-Based Diet Recipes For A Healthy Gut
Work your way to a healthy gut with delicious and nutritious plant-based diet recipes.
7 Plant-Based Diet Recipes: Healthy and Gut-Friendly Plant-Based Diet for Beginners
1. Chickpea and Aubergine Bites
These tasty bite-sized treats are great for your gut health and dinner party.
- 3 large aubergines, halved and cut side score
- Cooking spray
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 400g can of chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 lemon, half juiced and zested; the other half sliced into wedges for serving
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons polenta
- 2 tablespoons gram flour
Step 1: Preheat the Oven and Prepare VegetablesPreheat the oven to 400°F. Coat the aubergines in cooking spray, then place them with the cut side up in a roasting pan. Put garlic, cumin seeds, and coriander, and roast for 40 minutes until the aubergines become tender. Set aside to cool.
Step 2: Mash the VegetablesScoop out the aubergine flesh into a bowl. Discard the skins. Scrape the garlic and spices into the bowl with aubergines. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, zest, and flour, then mash together. Season accordingly. Place the mixture in the fridge for an hour to firm up.
Step 3: Shape and BakeShape the mixture into 20 balls. Roll them in the polenta for an even coating before placing them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Place them in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. They should come out golden and crisp. Serve with lemon wedges and your choice of yogurt dip.
2. Mexican Avocado and Beans on ToastThe Mexican flavors of this dish will be a vibrant start to your day. Elevated beans on toast, plus all the prebiotic benefits.
- 270g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 onion (red or white) chopped finely
- Juice of half a lime
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground/powdered cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle paste/1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 400g cans of black beans, drained
- A handful of chopped coriander
- 4 slices of wholegrain bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
Step 1: Make the Tomato MixtureMix lime juice, tomatoes, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 of the chopped onions in a bowl. Set aside.
Step 2: Cook IngredientsFry the remainder of the chopped onions in 2 tablespoons of the oil until it softens. Add garlic, and fry for 1 minute before adding the chipotle and cumin. After the aromatics become fragrant, add the beans with a splash of water. Stir and cook until the mixture is heated through. Add half of the tomato mixture and cook for 1 minute. Add most of the coriander leaves, but leave some for garnishing.
Step 3: Toast Bread and Add ToppingsToast the bread. Place avocado slices and beans on top, as well as the remaining tomato mixture, oil, and coriander leaves.
3. Chickpea Curry
This chickpea curry is flavorful, filling, and is among the easiest plant-based diet recipes to make.
- 1 diced onion
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh/dried chili
- 9 peeled garlic cloves
- Thumb-sized ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons garam masala
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 400g cans of drained chickpeas
- 400g canned tomatoes
- 100g coconut cream
- A handful of coriander, chopped
- 100g spinach
Step 1: Make Curry PasteHeat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add the diced onion and chili and cook until everything is soft, for around 8 minutes. Combine the garlic, ginger, oil, cumin, garam masala, coriander, tomato puree, salt, and fried onions in a food processor. Blend until smooth paste forms. Add a drop of water if the paste is too thick.
Step 2: Cook the CurryCook the paste in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid the paste sticking to the bottom. Add the chickpeas and chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 5 minutes until mixture reduces.
Step 3: Add Cream Before Serving
Add coconut cream and cook the mixture for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle in half of the coriander and spinach, stirring until vegetables wilt. Add the remaining coriander as a garnish before serving.
4. Black Bean ChiliNothing satisfies like a bowl of warm chili. And yet, nothing satisfies both your appetite and gut flora like this black bean chili!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons sweet Spanish paprika, or chili powder of choice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 400g cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- Your choice of chopped spring onions, crumbled feta cheese, thinly sliced radishes, avocado chunks, or sour cream to serve with the chili
Step 1: Cook Aromatics and SauceHeat olive oil in a large pot. Fry onions and garlic for 5 minutes. Add the chili powder and cumin. Cook for a few minutes before adding sugar, vinegar, and tomatoes. Season and cook for 10 more minutes.
Step 2: Cook the Beans and Serve
Pour the beans into the sauce and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with your choice of accompaniments.
RELATED: Is The Whole30 Diet Really Healthy?
5. Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Apples and Chestnuts
This meal looks fancy, but it's the contrary!
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter/2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 cup peeled/roasted chestnuts
Step 1: Preheat Oven and Make SaucePreheat your oven to 400°F. Stir together melted vegan butter/non-dairy milk, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, and coconut sugar to make the sauce.
Step 2: Saute VegetablesIn an oven-safe dish, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until soft and translucent. Add the Brussels sprouts and sauce mixture.
Step 3: Roast the VegetablesPlace the dish with onion, garlic, and Brussels sprouts in the oven for 30 minutes. Take it out, and toss the vegetables with tongs for even cooking.
Step 4: Add Fruits and Nuts, Then BroilTake the Brussels sprouts out, add the chestnuts, apples, and cranberries. Stir them together. Change the oven setting to broil. Broil for 5 minutes. Stir the mixture at 3-minute intervals until the liquid soaks up. Serve.
6. Mega Lentil Burger PattyVeggie burgers are hit-and-miss. But this plant-based diet recipe does not miss!
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1 3/4 cups cooked lentils
- 3 tablespoons flax meal
- 1 cup sweet potato with skins, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/3 cup tomato paste/ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon/yellow mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper/black pepper
Step 1: Preheat OvenPreheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease with oil.
Step 2: Combine IngredientsCombine garlic, onions, sweet potato, and walnuts in a food processor. Process until it forms a fine consistency. Add cooked lentils and rice into the mixture and process again. Scrape down sides whenever necessary. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add the ketchup/tomato paste, flax meal, mustard, pepper, and salt. Stir everything well. Add the cornmeal last to thicken the mixture to a workable consistency.
Step 3: Form Patties and BakeCreate palm-sized patties with the mixture. Smaller ones bake better and break apart much less than bigger patties. Place the patties on the baking sheet. Make sure they are evenly separated so they don't stick together when it's time for flipping. Bake for 15-20 minutes before flipping each patty. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until both sides are browned and crisped evenly.
Step 4: ServeServe on its own with a side of salad and plant-based gravy, or sandwiched between a classic bun and sides.
7. Coconut Yogurt
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 probiotic capsules
Step 1: Prepare and MixPour coconut milk into a sterilized glass jar. Break apart the probiotic capsule, pour contents into coconut milk, and stir thoroughly.
Step 2: Cover and RestCover the jar with a cheesecloth, and secure in place with a rubber band. Leave the mixture to rest for 24-48 hours in a quiet area where it can't be disturbed. The longer it rests, the thicker the yogurt gets!
Step 3: Refrigerate
After the resting period, replace the cheesecloth with the jar's sterilized lid. Place the jar into the refrigerator to chill and set for 30 minutes before consumption.
Here's an easy and simple BIOHM avocado egg boats recipe from BIOHM Health:
Keep your gut and the environment healthy with these plant-based diet recipes. Meats are delicious, but plant-based food options are also a wonderful world of flavor.
What's your favorite gut-friendly plant-based food? Let us know in the comments section below! Up Next: